Sunday 24 June 2012

Cardboard conundrum

Last week I removed some of the plastic and put cardboard in its place, then covered it with compost. The cardboard came out of the recycling bin, and was pre-wetted before being laid down on the dead grass and weeds. I also found some rolls of wallpaper and copies of the Mature Times and Metro, so all of that was used too. It looks quite weird and I will find out tomorrow if it has been effective. The plastic was moved to kill off another area.

If I can get my hands on enough cardboard (and copies of the 'Mature Times' :-)) I will try some further experiments with this technique, including in the compost bin. I figure if the cardboard is soggy enough you could put several layers between compost etc. Emma Cooper has tried composting cardboard on its own. There is not much more old compost left, about two bags of John Innes and three of ericaceous, so I will be on the look out for more. Suggestions welcome!

But where is the cheese? - John Innes & Ericaceous compost, grass clippings, cardboard, wallpaper

The new bed staying remarkably clear of weeds (just a few seedlings and a bit of bindweed/avens)


More on roses. I managed, in the limpid light of yesterday, to capture on camera the colour of the lovely coppery pink rambling rose 'Albertine' in my garden. It flowers only once but over several weeks. The buds remind me of very expensive coral lipstick but it is beautiful at every stage. I also took a photo of 'New Dawn' which is scrambling over a rose arch and trellis and is about the most shapely flower I know.


Yesterday - Rosa 'Albertine' - wichuriana rambler (1921, Barbier Freres et Cie, Orleans, France)
Rosa The New Dawn,  wichuriana rambler (1930, Dreer, USA)

'New Dawn' is a sport (mutation) of 'Dr. Van Fleet' and was introduced by Henry Dreer of Riverton, New Jersey in 1930. It holds the first plant patent ever granted in the USA.

'Dorothy Perkins', a favourite of my grandmother and my sister, was bred by Jackson & Perkins in the USA and introduced in 1901. It was named after Charles Perkins' granddaughter - I always thought it was named after the shop, but it's the other way round!

2 comments:

  1. This has worked really well.
    Im impressed and pleased.

    Your roses are beautiful. I have a pink rose I think is New Dawn, but its slightly paler than yours...!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I will call at the Co-op in Downham Way this morning to ask if they have some cardboard for the garden. It's a bit mucky further down the recycling bin so don't fancy rooting around in there any more! And the garden needs a lot of cardboard.

    New Dawn has really glossy green leaves, the leaves are smaller than my other roses if that's any help?

    ReplyDelete